Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Hard day at the office

Today, the Rip Curl team treated a few girls from work to surfing lessons at Manly beach. The weather was amazing as we heaved and hoed to get ourselves either into wet suits or skin tight rashies.

What I have always wondered about surfing lessons is whether they really teach you the basics on the sand like they do in the movies. Alas people, I can attest that it's true. With our beyond massive boards (the better you are, the smaller sized board you were rewarded with) we practiced our 1, 2, 3 paddle stroke before popping up to take our stance.

I also now understand the importance of rips. Basically, with surfing you use them to drag you out to sea so you don't have to paddle too hard. Then swim across and catch the waves in between the rips.

While I only managed to stand up properly once, once is once and I can officially say I have surfed.

The best part was after I had been dumped about three times and this random hottie came up and offered to push me on to a wave. Of course, it's massive and I end up getting dumped after I try to stand up. Oh and did I tell you he ended up being some pro surfer?

Regardless, I couldn't think of a better way to spend a day away from the office.

Also - check out the blog about our day at Dolly.



No comments:

Post a Comment